Schools in Scadabay
By Kenneth Campbell - Added 16/04/2014
Audio of Kenneth Campbell telling about the education that was available in Scadabay in his father’s time and earlier.
Dur: 4min 26sec
The first school in Scadabay was set up by Iain Campbell to teach his sons navigation. Other boys may also have been given the opportunity to attend. These skills were very important to a family making their living from the sea. Their teacher lived along with the family in Iain’s house.
The Ladies’ Association of Edinburgh was established in 1850. It supported the work of the Free Church schools in the Highlands, one of which was “The Ladies’ School” in Scadabay. Little remains of the school which was situated by Loch na Linne in the “Creag” area. This connection with the Church resulted in many of the ablest pupils progressing further with their education and finding a vocation within the Church. School attendance wasn’t compulsory at that time. This meant that there were some families where one person had a good education and another may have been incapable of writing their name. The Church sent students to the schools to teach the pupils during the summer months. They returned to their studies during the winter. The schoolhouse in Scadabay had two rooms; one for the teacher to sleep in, the other room was the classroom. The schoolhouse was thatched and the village took responsibility for keeping it maintained.
By the end of the 19th Century Drinishader School had been built to cater for all the children between Scadabay and Miavag. Footpaths were opened up to help make it accessible and it was now a legal requirement to attend school from 5 years of age.